As preventative measures against these hazards, those who work in forging can use PPE to help reduce the likelihood of getting cut, crushing fingers, or damaging their sight or hearing.
Common PPE used includes:
- Goggles – reduces any sight damage
- Earplugs – reduces any hearing damage
- Apron – these are thick to help prevent burns on the skin
- Long sleeves – these protect arms from flying materials
- Fire-resistant gloves – helps protect your hands from hot materials
- Closed-toe, steel-capped boots – protect your feet from hot materials or heavy machinery/materials being dropped
These cannot always prevent the damage or harm caused but are a method of reducing any permanent damage should there be an accident in the workplace.